Tuesday, October 23, 2012

State of Things

As in, the State Fair. And all that entails (read: fried food, games, rides and animals).

 I wrote earlier that I took a photography class one evening after work, and well, I am in the process of taking another one. I have read Ashley Ann's blog for a while, and her photos are always so beautiful and real. She just adopted a beautiful baby girl from China, and of course, that strikes a chord with me. She offers an online class, and it is currently running! She encouraged us to share links to blogs where we post our photos, so I thought I would share a couple photos with you all. Those of you coming from the SnapShop, Hi! and Welcome!

A little background. Stacy, in the first photo, is a friend from high school in China. We hadn't seen each other in about four or five years. It was SO GOOD to catch up and hang out and talk into the wee hours of the morning (ok, wee hours for me). We went up to the State Fair and had a blast.

I took lots of photos from the weekend, and tried to pick the best. Check it out:

Stacy and Barkley on the back porch

Abraham (merger or lines?)
I just love this photo of Aaron

Some interesting gourds
This makes me thankful for indoor plumbing.

A little creative cropping?
I don't remember what he was explaining, but I love his expression
I like the composition of this one, but I don't think I did it deliberately
Last food item of the night. (poor cropping of the hand)
I didn't take this one, since I'm in it, but I wanted to give you an idea of how the night finished off!
To sum up the night:
  • Rides: Check (The swings, and the centrifuge-like one)
  • Games/Prizes: Check (standing up a bottle; we weren't successful, but we won a prize any way- see large stuffed lion above)
  • Hog Races: Check (and goats and ducks!)
  • Food: Check (turkey leg, funnel cake, blooming onion, fried cinnamon roll, fried Koolaid and kielbasa)
All in all, a successful Fair. 

SnapShop friends, I played with my settings some-- I didn't take any of these in automatic, but I had it in aperture priority mode. Any critique, suggestion, question or comment is welcome!

Until next time!




2 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much for sharing these! I'm here from SnapShops :) Are these all in manual? If so, you're doing a great job getting proper exposure down. Nice work! And I loved many of the expressions, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacci! Thanks for stopping by! I actually took these in Av (Aperture priority). I wimped out on taking them in Manual since we were at the fair and I didn't want to have to make other people wait while I messed with settings. But I'm going to try and challenge myself to shoot in manual for a while. Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete