Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Traffic

I've written about lots of things, mostly concerning myself. I wrote for a couple weeks straight on my travels to China and India, places that are beautiful and wonderful. I've written about crafts and foods. New things I'm trying. Things I would like to try in the future.

But I'd like to take a minute to write about something old. Ancient. Dark. Insidious.

Slavery. 

It is an institution more ancient than China and more detestable than centipedes in your apartment (take my word for it). 

And it still exists today (a modern definition of slavery).

Source
It may not be as obvious as a bent over man or woman in a field, picking cotton, with stripes on their backs and their families scattered against their will--no, it has gone underground. Away from the light and sight of those who would act if they knew. Out of sight, out of mind. 

The issue of human trafficking is one that I began learning about in college and towards the end of my college career, spent one night a week for a whole semester learning, discussing and seeing images of human trafficking (slavery). Women, seated in a room on riser levels behind a glass window--like pets in a pet store. For sale.

We would discuss it's entrenchment in society, and in some places, its integration into the very culture.



Maybe numbers will help paint a picture. (source)

There are an estimated 20-30 million slaves today, worldwide. (that ranges from the combined populations of Shanghai and New York City to the combined populations of Shanghai, NYC, London and Taipei)

Trafficking is the 3rd most profitable crime industry (behind drugs and weapons), grossing around $32 billion annually (some variance in it's placing, but it's solidly in the top 3).

To bring it a little closer to home-- an estimated 14.5 to 17.5 thousand victims are trafficked across US borders every year. That number does not include domestic trafficking where no international borders are crossed.

Of the numbers of global child sex tourists (individuals who travel to locales specifically for child sex), an estimated 25% of them are American. This percentage increases in certain countries. In Cambodia, 38% of child sex tourists are American. In Costa Rica, 80%. (source)



The numbers are big and hard to comprehend. I've read articles upon articles. The facts and stories would fill so many books. Over all the nuances, depravity and forms that it can take, the fact remains that slavery exists.

Did you know about it? This breach of human rights is unacceptable. I've wanted to do something about it for a while, but I'm not entirely sure what. I have a couple of ideas, so if and when they materialize, I'll let you know.

I just wanted to share this bit of my heart with you.

What you do with it is up to you :)







1 comment:

  1. Keep your eyes open to the what's, when's, how to's, and especially the how-can-I(you)-make-a-difference info that throws a spotlight on it and makes you (and others) aware of trafficking. When the ideas begin to take-shape and you want to invest your life into those who have so little of it (since it's being viciously stolen away from them), share as He leads; we are behind you....

    ReplyDelete