Monday, November 28, 2011

thanksgiving

Thanksgiving flowers!

A holiday of celebration, family and bounties upon bounties of food. A holiday of giving thanks. Remembering the blessings and in turn, being thankful for all that we have been given.

My Thanksgiving was spent with extended family and this year the decision was made (unbeknownst to me) that we were going to forego the traditional holdiay casseroles. This may not sound like a big deal, but let me translate. No green bean casserole. No sweet potato casserole. No corn casserole. Thank goodness we kept the mashed potatoes otherwise I might have dissolved in tears. Not really, but kind of.





A man by the river feeding pigeons!
Instead, we basically duplicated Southern Living's holiday feast. A squash casserole (not half bad), deviled eggs (those babies were gone before they were even all nicely displayed on the plate-- notice the finger on the right of the image), broccolini (meh), mac and cheese (s'ok, sry no photos), butternut squash salad (yummo), shrimp and grits dressing (sorry, review unavailable since I avoid shellfish), buttery mashed taters (do you really need an opinion on this one?) and a Big Green Egg (yes, I thought of Dr. Seuss as well) roasted turkey. Oh, and I made some guacamole. All in all, a good spread. I have no complaints (though I missed green bean casserole, I didn't have all that much spare room on my plate for it).


(I put in a slideshow because I had too many pictures of food!)

So much food. So much laughter. Wonderful.

Abraham and I watched ducks from the bridge.
Holidays, for me, can be slightly bittersweet. I can't be with my immediate family, but I find myself still surrounded by love and warmth. On this morning, my uncle, boyfriend and I went for a walk.


My uncle and I on a swing
We went to a park downtown and it was absolutely beautiful. Perfect weather and people were out and about, enjoying the sunshine. We saw ducks and a pigeon man and had a glorious time.

This year I have an abundance to be thankful for (This fact has always been true, but it's easy to forget and not have a thankful heart).

My family is alive and well.

I woke up this morning (somewhat reluctantly, I admit).

When it's cold, I can turn on the heat or grab a blanket or put on more clothes and not worry about paying for it.

I have a college degree.

I have a job.

This is just the start of a list that could go on and on and on. From the basic necessities that are often under-appreciated to the big deal things.

God is so Good.





No comments:

Post a Comment